June 1, 2010

The One About Montana and a Bunch of Babies

There are only two weeks left until the start of mein Abenteuer in Deutschland! On Monday, June 14th I board a plane at LAX and I ascend to the skies for an 11 hour journey to Germany.

I’m so excited. I really can’t express my excitement, actually. I’ve tried. Everyone keeps asking me, “Aren’t you so excited?” And I am. I am so, so, so STOKED. I am about to go to Europe, for a year, get PAID to be there, experience new culture, new customs, and new people. I am going to take of these two beautiful little girls and will probably fall in love with them. I get to travel, explore, photograph, write, enjoy. Wouldn’t you be excited? I hope those of you who are reading can live vicariously through me.

Two weeks!

I’ve been keeping busy since graduation though, don’t worry. I’m currently on vacation in Montana, enjoying the rain and gray skies of my childhood hometown. Mostly, I have been spending a lot of time with my best friend, Sarah. We’ve been best friends since we were 12 and I still love being around her. Our maturity levels astound me, even now in our early 20’s! We just got back from a Memorial Day camping trip and it was a bummer to leave the river behind to return to the city. Aside from the fact that I really wanted a hot shower, a comfortable bed (with a mattress!), and a long nap! But I did get some great shots of true Montana beauty.

        DSCN1921 DSCN1946

DSCN1947

I loved being out in the mountains again. I used to camp all the time when I was a kid and Montana is such a great place for it. The forests and rivers are so freaking gorgeous. We had a good time. And it didn’t rain!

Also, Sarah and I spent our last Saturday night babysitting her nephew, Colton, who is just the cutest little 3 1/2 month old dude you will ever see on this side of the United States.DSCN1869 
And, because we’re really good at it, Sarah and I have been going to the movies. It’s the summer of sequels and we’ve already seen Iron Man 2 (AWESOME!) and Sex and the City 2 (CHEESY!). Next in line, Shrek Forever After which I know will be awesome.

When I’m not with Sarah, I’ve been spending time with my family. My dad’s side lives here in Montana and I rarely get to see them so it’s been really, really good having time with them. I’m learning a lot about my family as I get older and I appreciate them so much more now than I ever did before. I feel so blessed to be able to have this time with them before I leave. And the best part about it…

I’M AN AUNTIE!

DSCN1990 
My step-sister had a beautiful baby girl on May 19th and officially made me a first-time auntie! Madisyn Logan is the most beautiful little niece and I love her so much already. She’s so tiny and sweet and completely and wholly adorable. It’s going to be really hard to leave next weekend knowing that I won’t see her for at least another year. Fortunately, I know that grandma will be taking good care of her!

Other highlights from my Montana vacation include:

  • Receiving my third tour of my grandma’s retirement community and beating her in an epic game of Scrabble. The word “QUERE” on a double-letter, triple-word formation for 66 points. I won by almost 200 points. Sorry, grams!
  • Eating my dad’s BBQ. I will miss American BBQ when I am in Germany!
  • Time zone changes. It gets dark at 10 pm. It’s so weird to walk out of an evening movie and it’s still light outside.

And there will be more!

4 comments:

Mel said...

I'm so happy for you. You're going to have the best year ever! I mean.. um.. oh hell! Who am I kidding? I'm green with envy.

Those pics are gorgeous; both of Montana and the lovely Colton and Madisyn. You must be such a proud, hot auntie!

Unknown said...

Congrats on becoming an aunt! I got my first neice this year, too! :)

I can't believe you beat Grama at Scrabble, and especially by such a huge margin!! I'm pretty good at that game, and I've only beaten her ONCE!

Mikell said...

So, I googled "american au-pair in Germany blog" and I found you! I am going to be an au-pair just outside of Munich for the summer! We should be friends!

Janice said...

Amazing.. I love Montana too ! Great posts ! I am now following you. My blog is http://naturegirl-3.blogspot.com . Pass by and share the love! Thank you

Post a Comment