April 13, 2010

Music Monday [April 12th]

Okay, so when it comes to my music, there is one thing I am absolutely certain of. There is no better therapy in the world than putting on some good tunes after an especially harrowing experience. A break up, a bad day, mean people, a failed exam… whatever.

My childhood cat companion (God rest your sweet furry soul, dear Zeus) died when I was 16 and I listened to P. Diddy’s I’ll Be Missing You and cried for three days straight. I picked my music very well back then, didn’t I? Surprisingly, it made me feel better. During my freshmen year when I was having an especially hard time balancing my college life and problems back at home, Death Cab for Cutie’s Your Heart is an Empty Room brought me some sweet, melodic relief. Once upon a time I was mad that I gave my v-card to a really unworthy candidate and Avril Lavigne’s I Can Do Better really helped me get over that disappointment.

I’m sure it’s a pretty universal feeling when I say that music can almost heal any broken or hurting heart. I don’t have a broken heart today, in fact, today I actually feel really good. But those days when I was feeling down really make me appreciate the days like today, when the sun is out and the possibilities are endless.

42-23607524This Monday of Music is dedicated to those days, the days when all I wanted was to stop crying, to stop being angry, to stop feeling inadequate, to stop feeling broken. For everything to just stop and for happiness to just come on in already! These five songs, the first of which was already mentioned, have been the best therapy in times like that. These are the “Silver Lining Songs.”

1. Your Heart is an Empty Room – Death Cab for Cutie
The flames and smoke climbed out of every window
And disappeared with everything that you held dear
And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free

2. If I Ever Feel Better – Phoenix
I've watched all my castles fall
They were made of dust, after all
Someday all this mess will make me laugh
I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait

3. Silver Lining – David Gray
Step into the silence
Take it in your own two hands
And scatter it like diamonds

4. Comes and Goes (In Waves) – Greg Laswell
This is for the ones who stand
For the ones who try again
For the ones who need a hand
For the ones that think they can

5. The Breeze – Dr. Dog
Do you feel like you're stuck in time?
Forever waiting on that line
If nothing ever moves
Put that needle to the groove
And sing

You can listen to my Music Mondays playlist via MySpace Music.

0 comments:

Post a Comment