March 1, 2011

Nine Months Gone By (I Could Have Cooked a Baby By Now!), My Impending Adulthood, and All the Things and People That Make My Life

I can’t believe that it’s already the 1st of March, that’s it already spring. Where the hell has this year gone? I started this blog almost a year ago. It’s been almost nine months since I started this adventure in Munich. Time goes by so fast. This time last year I was working diligently on my graduation capstone and was taking care of Baby D five days a week. It feels so far away. So much has happened since then and my life has changed in every way possible. I have been so blessed to have this experience and I wish that there were more than just three months left to enjoy it. Unfortunately, that is all that I have left – 110 days, just a little over three months. There is still so much that I can do in that time – I’m going to be traveling this spring (budget-willing!), visiting Barcelona, Spain and, hopefully Verona and Venice, Italy. I’m going to Cologne on the 11th of this month. And in May, I’m going to Berlin to visit friends who live there. There’s another beer festival coming up in March – the Starkbierfest – which means that the dirndl is coming out again and my girlfriends and I can feel like real Bavarians. I’ve fallen short on my Munich bucket list but I’ll pick up on it again – I have a lot of stuff to catch up on that I haven’t even posted yet. Bear with me. I’ll get through it eventually.

Life has been good. Things in Munich are wonderful, I have no complaints. My social life here far outweighs my au pair responsibilities. Last weekend we completely exhausted ourselves partying. One going away party after another and two 6 am returns in a row. Club nights, bars, beer, tequila. We take it all in stride and we look out for each other whenever and wherever we can. I spent all day Sunday in bed watching How I Met Your Mother. It was glorious. Then my lovely friend, Ana, fed me a delicious pasta dinner and we talked for hours about everything going on in our lives. I love weekends here – I live for them. I will miss this when I go home to live in my mom’s basement and start my grown-up life. I will miss this last chance that I’ve been given to really just be young and carefree. It doesn’t have to stop after this but it will. I’m making that choice. I’m choosing to grow up and take on a more responsible adult role. Which is fine with me. But, for now and in spite of my near and not so distant future, I choose to enjoy the time that I have left here and to just live my life as it comes.

My favorite picture of the week:

DSC07968My best girlfriend, Fionnuala. I LOVE HER.

Other things I’ve done in the last week or so:

  • I watched 127 Hours about the guy who cuts off his arm. Incredible.
  • Called my mom, twice, over the course of five days and talked to her for over an hour both times. I miss her. A lot.

Video call snapshot 27I can’t wait to hang out with my mom and Ruby Tuesday.

  • Earned 80 EUR on the side. It’s a secret! :) And then spent it all. Another lesson learned. Sigh.
  • Played at the spielplatz with the cutest twins in all of Munich.

DSC07940

Das ist alles. Danke. Tschüs!

2 comments:

McGriddle Pants said...

I LOOOOOOOOOVE HIMYM! Best show on TV.

and I love that your dog is named Ruby Tuesday. Does she have 2 for 1 drinks too?! ;)

The Meema said...

It's "Ruby Tuesday" from the Rollings Stones! But we might be able to work out a drink or two...

Post a Comment