August 31, 2010

(One Day Late) Music Monday [August 31st] – Nostalgia Edition

It’s amazing how fast music can transport you back in time. I had my iTunes on shuffle and Keane’s track “Your Eyes Open” from the album Hopes and Fears came on and I felt like I was back in the 11th grade, working at Video Palace, and acting my age – seventeen. Needless to say, I turned off shuffle and listened to the rest of the album. Sometimes all you need is a little nostalgia.

I have plenty of it when it comes to music, especially from high school. I spent those four years moving between three schools, two states, and countless amounts of transitory friendships. Music was a good balance when my life was so chaotic. For this “edition” of Music Monday, I’m going back to high school and the music that I listened to during my ‘coming of age.’ Links will take you to an awesome music video from that particular album – usually my favorite track.

n83900390_30313893_47069th grade version of myself and my awesome cats – 15 years old. 

9th Grade
Age: 15
Location: Sentinel High School – Missoula, Montana
The Music
Avril Lavigne “Let Go”
Britney Spears “Britney”
Jimmy Eat World “Bleed American
Michelle Branch “The Spirit Room
New Found Glory “New Found Glory
Relient K “Anatomy of the Tongue in Cheek”

10th Grade
Age:
16
Location: The highways between western Montana and Los Angeles - Woodland Hills, California -Morro Bay, California
The Music
The All American Rejects “The All American Rejects
The Ataris “So Long, Astoria”
Josie and the Pussycats Motion Picture Soundtrack
Maroon 5 “Songs About Jane
Moulin Rouge Motion Picture Soundtrack
Norah Jones “Come Away With Me”
Simple Plan “No Helmet, No Pad… Just Balls
Something Corporate “Leaving Through the Window

n83900390_30549117_5065965The 17 year old version of me – Hanson poster and all

11th Grade
Age: 17
Location: Morro Bay, California
The Music
Ben Jelen “Give It All Away”
Copeland “Beneath Medicine Tree”
Dashboard Confessional “A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar” & “Swiss Army Romance”
Hanson “Underneath
Jason Mraz “Waiting for My Rocket to Come”
John Mayer “Room for Squares”
Keane “Hopes and Fears”
Michelle Branch “Hotel Paper
Rooney “Rooney”
Sarah McLachlan “Afterglow”
Something Corporate “North
Sugarcult “Start Static” & “Palm Trees and Power Lines
Switchfoot “The Beautiful Letdown”
Tyler Hilton “The Tracks Of”
Yellowcard “Ocean Avenue”

12th Grade
Age:
18
Location: Morro Bay, California
The Music
Coldplay “X&Y”
Dashboard Confessional “The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most
Death Cab for Cutie “Transatlanticism” & “Plans
Garden State Motion Picture Soundtrack
Jack Johnson “Brushfire Fairytales,” “In Between Dreams” & “On and On”
Jimmy Eat World “Futures”
John Mayer “Heavier Things
Keane “Under the Iron Sea”
Music from The OC: Mix 2
Snow Patrol “Final Straw
The Thrills “Let’s Bottle Bohemia
Zero 7 “Simple Things”

My music tastes definitely evolved as the years passed. I still listen to some of these bands – not many – but they’re all in my iTunes or in my hard drive somewhere. It was in 11th grade that my music tastes kind of morphed towards any and all music that was featured on The OC. I like to think that that show saved my music loving heart forever and opened my eyes to music that I really loved. It’s all down hill from there. Someday I’ll post what I listened to in college and the list will be even longer…

1 comments:

sarah :) said...

BEN JELEN?!?!?!? ah hahahahaha. i cannot stand that man. he jipped me on taking a picture with him because his "eyes are sensitive". oh, the days.

Post a Comment